How to Choose a Nursing College near Bethel Island California
Locating the right nursing school near Bethel Island CA may seem like a difficult undertaking, particularly if you don’t know what to search for in a good degree program. As you may already understand, for you to practice as a registered nurse, you must obtain the proper education and training to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you research and determine the qualifications of each program you are contemplating before enrolling in your ultimate selection. Unfortunately, too many prospective students base their determination solely on the price of tuition and the proximity of the school. Deciding on the least expensive college or the one that is local to your residence is most likely not the most ideal way to choose a nursing program. There are a number of key additional factors to investigate before you decide where to enroll in classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first discuss what the job of a registered nurse is in our medical system, along with the nursing degree alternatives that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Duties
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different medical environments, such as Bethel Island CA hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their general job is to aid doctors in the care of their patients. However, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or specialization along with where they work. A few of the duties of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Observing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more high level job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and commonly work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can deliver primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degree Options
There are several degree options offered to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can receive a qualifying degree in as little as two years, or continue on to obtain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief descriptions of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Bethel Island CA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is normally a two year program offered by community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many use the ADN as an entry into nursing and subsequently achieve a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is normally a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be able to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might want to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a two year program after obtaining the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
Once a graduating student has earned one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed. Additional requirements for licensing can vary from state to state, so make sure to contact the California board of nursing for any state requirements.
LPN Certificates and Degrees
There are principally two academic credentials available that provide instruction to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that can be finished in the shortest period of time, usually about one year, is the certificate or diploma program. The next alternative is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma option and typically require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, besides supplying a higher credential and more comprehensive instruction, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the type of credential you seek, it should be California approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or some other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the course of study properly prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike many other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to obtain a college degree. CNA education can be obtained at Bethel Island CA area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The duration of the instruction can take anywhere from one to three months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to receive at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which have to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimal amount of instruction required and every state has its own prerequisites. So it’s crucial to make sure that the course you enroll in not only satisfies the federal requirements, but additionally those for California or the state where you will be practicing. One recommendation is to get in touch with the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the training is state certified. In addition to the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there might be additional prerequisites as well.
Questions to Ask Nursing Schools
Once you have determined which nursing program to pursue, and if to attend your classes on campus near Bethel Island CA or online, you can use the following checklist to begin narrowing down your options. As you undoubtedly realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges within California and the United States. So it is essential to lower the number of schools to select from so that you will have a manageable list. As we previously mentioned, the location of the school as well as the cost of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the first two things that you will look at. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your final decision, use the following questions to see how your pick measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting organization. In addition to helping confirm that you get a quality education, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans, which are often not available in Bethel Island CA for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are attending not only provides an excellent education, but also prepares you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for California or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check online rating services to see what the assessments are for all of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews too. Additionally, contact the California school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Bethel Island CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a good reputation within the Bethel Island CA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to help students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing as well. Find out if the schools have associations with Bethel Island CA hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placing of students in internships.
Nursing Online Classes
Enrolling in nursing colleges online is becoming a more favored way to receive training and acquire a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and nearly all programs call for a certain number of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this method may be a more convenient solution to finding the time to attend college for many Bethel Island CA students. Regarding tuition, a number of online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus options. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more easily affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. So if your job and household obligations have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Bethel Island CA?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Bethel Island California area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Bethel Island, California
Bethel Island (formerly known as Bethell, Bethell Ranch, Bethel Tract, Sand Mound Ranch, Sand Mound Tract) is a census-designated place (CDP) on Bethel Island in Contra Costa County, California, United States. The population was 2,137 at the 2010 census. The community of Bethel Island is governed as a Special Act District created by the California State legislature and named the Bethel Island Municipal Improvement District (BIMID). It is a popular destination for recreation seekers, especially hunters, fishermen and boaters.
The landform known as Bethel Island was created between 1859 and 1870 by several men, see the names and survey numbers below. (Source: California State Archives for Land Patent Certificate of Purchase for Swamp and Overflow Surveys Numbers 80, 81, 82, 83, 225, 226, 227 and 250). It was NOT created in 1860 by a man named Stone as claimed by Kathy Leighton. Alonzo Stone purchased much of the property formerly owned by Warren and Anne Bethell, and the area was briefly referred to as the "Stone Tract" in the 1930s. Prior to this, it was referred to as "Sandmound Ranch", "Sandmound Tract" or "Bethel Tract" and contained an estimated area of 6,000 acres (24 km2), and did not become an island until 1911, when Dutch Slough was dredged eastward to join with Sandmound Slough. East Contra Costa Historical Society has been made aware of these inaccuracies, however has not yet updated their website. Please STOP changing this wiki to repeat this incorrect information.
The first post office opened in 1898, and named for its first postmaster Franklin Cloud Bethell. The second "L" was dropped by a rather pious postal commissioner that reportedly felt it would be ungodly to allow the new location to be called "Bet Hell", and took liberties to change it to "Bethel" (בית אל), meaning "House of God" in Hebrew. The post office closed in 1902. A Post Office re-opened on Bethel Island in 1947.
Pick the Right Nursing Degree near Bethel Island CA
Selecting the ideal registered nursing college is arguably the most critical phase to beginning a new career in the healthcare field. There are various variables that you should think about when selecting a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career objectives, lifestyle, and economic status. As we have highlighted within this post, it is critical that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a shortlist of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your hard work and ambition to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Bethel Island CA.
More Awesome Locations in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 71
Bing: California nursing colleges Search results
Best LVN Programs in California - Licensed Practical Nurse
Approved programs in California are offered at community colleges, technical centers, and private career schools - we list 122 schools across the state. After careful review of NCLEX-PN exam first-time pass rates over the past several years, we have ranked the top 50 programs. ... California Board of Vocational Nursing 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive ...
Foundation for California Community Colleges
Nursing Education Investment Grants Program Announces Awardees of 2022 Grants Cycle; $771,000 in Funds Awarded. August 4, 2022. ... The Foundation for California Community Colleges is a 501(c)(3) organization (EIN 68-0412350). Get involved > Who we serve.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Deborah E. Trautman Future Nurse Leader Scholarship. Funded by Liaison International, AACN’s partner in NursingCAS, this scholarship and leadership development program was created in honor of AACN’s President and CEO Dr. Deborah Trautman.This $3,500 scholarship is designed to recognize graduate nursing students who aspire to leadership positions in academic nursing.
Best Online Nursing Programs 2022 | RN Degrees - Affordable Colleges Online
If you're interested in pursuing a nursing associate or bachelor's degree and becoming a registered nurse, consider flexible and affordable RN schools online. ... Best Online Colleges In California Search By State. Search Programs. Search Programs. Share this article ... and years of experience. For example, RNs in South Dakota earn average ...
University of California - Los Angeles - Niche
Test Scores and High School GPA for University of California - Los Angeles See Other Colleges. Find Student Loans. Find Student Loans. Cost. Net Price. $16,474 / year. National. $15,523. Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college. Average Total Aid Awarded.
Best Colleges in California | BestColleges
California colleges charge a below-average tuition rate. According to 2019-20 data from the National Center for Education Statistics, public colleges in California charged an average of about $8,200 per year in tuition and fees, compared to a national average of $9,350. California's private colleges cost an average of $37,000 per year.
Department of Nursing | CSUSB - California State University, San Bernardino
Welcome to CSUSB Department of Nursing. ... Palm Desert campuses, including generic BSN, Concurrent Enrollment Pathway ADN-BSN collaborating with local community colleges and RN-BSN program. Our hybrid Master of Science in Nursing program has a variety of concentrations, from Nurse Educator, Advanced Community Public Health Nursing to ...
California Polytechnic State University--San Luis Obispo
California Polytechnic State University—San Luis Obispo is a public institution that was founded in 1901. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 21,093 (fall 2021), its setting is suburban ...
2022-2023 Best Colleges in California | U.S. News Rankings
The sunny campus of Stanford University is located in California’s Bay Area, about 30 miles from San Francisco. The private institution stresses a multidisciplinary combination of teaching ...
California State University--Northridge - Profile, Rankings and Data ...
California State University—Northridge's ranking in the 2022-2023 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities West, #32. Its in-state tuition and fees are $7,043; out-of-state tuition and ...