How to Choose a Nursing School near Eufaula Alabama
Locating the right nursing college near Eufaula AL may feel like a complicated project, especially if you don’t know what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently understand, for you to practice as a registered nurse, you need to receive the proper education and training in order to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you study and evaluate the qualifications of each program you are contemplating before enrolling in your ultimate selection. The fact is, too many prospective students base their selection entirely on the cost of tuition and the nearness of the school. Deciding on the least expensive college or the one that is nearest to your home is probably not the most reliable way to decide on a nursing program. There are many key additional aspects to look into before you determine where to enroll in classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first cover what the function of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, as well as the nursing degree options that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Functions
Registered nurses are the largest occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical settings, such as Eufaula AL hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic duty is to aid doctors in the treatment of their patients. However, the exact duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise in addition to where they work. Some of the duties of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Observing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Supervising LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Keeping health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more high level job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for instance, must hold a Master’s Degree and often work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
There is more than one degree option offered to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can earn a qualifying degree in as little as two years, or advance to earn a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some brief explanations of the nursing degrees that are available in the Eufaula AL area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is normally a 2 year program offered by community colleges. It readies graduates for an entry level position in nursing in medical centers including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and later achieve a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more expansive training than the ADN. It is generally a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be qualified to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may want to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a two year program after obtaining the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has attained one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) so as to become licensed. Additional requirements for licensing fluctuate from state to state, so be sure to get in touch with the Alabama board of nursing for any state mandates.
LPN Certificates and Degrees
There are principally two academic accreditations available that provide education to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be finished in the shortest time frame, generally about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma course. The next alternative is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma option and typically require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, along with supplying a higher credential and more comprehensive training, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the kind of credential you seek, it needs to be Alabama approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the core curriculum properly prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike many other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to obtain a college degree. CNA training can be received at Eufaula AL area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The duration of the instruction can take anywhere from one to 3 months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to obtain at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which must be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimal period of training directed and each state has its own prerequisites. So it’s necessary to make sure that the course you enroll in not only meets the federal requirements, but also those for Alabama or the state where you will be practicing. One tip is to check with the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the training course is state certified. As well as the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there may be other requirements as well.
Questions to Ask Nursing Colleges
Now that you have determined which nursing degree to pursue, and if to attend your classes on campus near Eufaula AL or online, you can utilize the following guidelines to start narrowing down your options. As you undoubtedly realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges throughout Alabama and the United States. So it is necessary to lower the number of schools to choose from to ensure that you will have a manageable list. As we already discussed, the location of the school as well as the expense of tuition are probably going to be the first two points that you will take into consideration. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your final selection, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. Besides helping make sure that you receive a premium education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not provided in Eufaula AL for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for registered nurses are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an excellent education, but also readies you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for Alabama or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Check online rating companies to see what the evaluations are for all of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews also. Additionally, check with the Alabama school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Eufaula AL healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a superb reputation within the Eufaula AL healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students attain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing too. Check if the schools have a working relationship with Eufaula AL hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Online Nursing Programs
Enrolling in nursing programs online is emerging as a more favored way to receive instruction and acquire a nursing degree. Some schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs call for a specified amount of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this method may be a more practical approach to finding the free time to attend classes for many Eufaula AL students. Concerning tuition, many online degree programs are less costly than other on campus alternatives. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be minimized, helping to make education more easily affordable. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and family obligations have left you with limited time to work toward your academic goals, maybe an online nursing program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Eufaula AL?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Eufaula Alabama area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
The site along the Chattahoochee River that is now modern-day Eufaula was occupied by three Creek tribes, including the Eufaulas.:3 By the 1820s the land was part of the Creek Indian Territory and supposedly off-limits to white settlement.:4 By 1827 enough illegal white settlement had occurred that the Creeks appealed to the federal government for protection of their property rights. In July of that year, federal troops were sent to the Eufaula area to remove the settlers by force of arms, a conflict known as the "Intruders War".:4
The Creeks signed the Treaty of Washington in 1826, ceding most of their land in Georgia and eastern Alabama to the United States, but it was not fully effective in practice until the late 1820s. The 1832 Treaty of Cusseta, by which the Creeks ceded all land east of the Mississippi River to the United States, allowed white settlers to legally buy land from the Creek. However, the treaty's terms did not require any natives to relocate. By 1835 the land on which the town was built had been mostly purchased by white settlers, and had a store, owned in part by William Irwin, after whom the new settlement was named "Irwinton".:5
Significant numbers of Jewish settlers came to Eufala in the middle of the nineteenth century from Germany and from neighboring states. The community founded a cemetery; the first burial took place in 1845.
Select the Right Nursing School near Eufaula AL
Enrolling in the right registered nursing school is arguably the most crucial step to launching a new career in the healthcare industry. There are numerous factors that you should take into account when picking a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently contingent on your existing career goals, lifestyle, and financial status. As we have emphasized in this article, it is critical that you choose an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have exceptional reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a shortlist of schools to select from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your hard work and ambition to succeed, you can become a licensed registered nurse in Eufaula AL.
More Awesome Locations in Alabama
Bing: Alabama nursing programs Search results
Alabama Board of Nursing
The Alabama Board of Nursing will begin issuing permits to engage in Student Nurse Apprenticeships to nursing students who have completed requisite course work. Click the slide for addtional apprenticeship information. Learn more about ABN Advanced Practice Nursing by clicking here.
The University of Alabama
UA offers more than 100 majors and programs of study in eight different degree-granting colleges and schools. Graduate. Our 120+ graduate programs push students to realize their potential and reach the highest levels of achievement. UA Online. Complete courses and earn degrees around your own schedule from anywhere in the world.
Mental Illness Community Programs - Alabama
The Office of Mental Illness Community Programs serves as the primary liaison between the department and certified mental illness community mental health providers.This office is responsible for the regulation of Alabama’s public mental illness services delivery system for adults with a Serious Mental Illness (SMI) and children/adolescents with a Serious Emotional Disturbance (SED).
Continuing Education (CE) | Alabama Board of Nursing
Go to the Alabama Board of Nursing web site, www.abn.alabama.gov. After entering the site, select the Alabama Nursing Resource Center, then select the Nursing CE tab. Before selecting to view a class: Test your system to determine readiness to view online courses. Review Frequently Asked Questions, including system requirements.
Verification (Nursys) | Alabama Board of Nursing
The Alabama multistate license is change to a single state license upon changing legal residency to a noncompact state. The nurse is responsible for notifying the Alabama Board of Nursing (set up through My Profile), when they move to Non-Compact state. Go to My Profile to change permanent legal state of residence from Alabama. Permalink 1 0
Laws | Alabama Board of Nursing
Chapter 610-X-3 NURSING EDUCATION PROGRAMS ... Author: Alabama Board of Nursing Statutory Authority: Code of Alabama, 1975, § 41-22-11. History: Effective September 29, 1982. Amended March 24, 1984. Filed September 20, 2002. Effective October 25, 2002. Application for Declaratory Ruling.
College of Nursing | University of South Alabama
The nursing programs at the University of South Alabama allow students to adapt studies to their individual goals with a variety of classroom, lab and online course offerings, as well as practical experience in settings that span the healthcare spectrum.
Nursing Education Programs | Alabama Board of Nursing
The ABN does not recommend colleges or universities to prospective students; ABN approves colleges and universities to offer undergraduate nursing programs in practical and registered nursing programs in Alabama. We encourage students to investigate the credentials of any program of study before investing time and money in pursuit of education.
Apply | Alabama Board of Nursing
Graduates of Regents/Excelsior College: Alabama law requires graduation from a nursing program which substantially meets the same educational criteria as Alabama nursing programs. You may view Board Declaratory Rulings regarding Excelsior graduates here. Applicants are not pre-screened for licensure eligibility.
Capstone College of Nursing – The University of Alabama – | The ...
UACCN Ranks Among Best Online Nursing Programs for 2022. January 29, 2022 The Capstone College of Nursing at The University of Alabama is proud to announce its online programs have again been ranked among the best in … Read More. University of Alabama receives $1.8 million to improve patient care in rural Alabama.