How to Pick a Nursing College near Pearcy Arkansas
Choosing the best nursing program near Pearcy AR may feel like a challenging project, especially if you don’t know what to look for in a good degree program. As you may already know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you need to obtain the appropriate education and training to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you study and assess the qualifications of each program you are considering before enrolling in your ultimate choice. Regrettably, too many potential students base their decision exclusively on the price of tuition and the nearness of the school. Deciding on the least costly program or the one that is closest to your residence is probably not the best way to choose a nursing program. There are several crucial additional considerations to look into before you decide where to enroll in classes. But before we delve into that checklist, let’s first review what the role of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, together with the nursing degree alternatives that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Functions
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in many different medical environments, including Pearcy AR hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic function is to aid doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the exact duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or area of expertise as well as where they work. Some of the duties of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Monitoring patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Taking care of health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more advanced job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and often work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degree Options
There are several degree options offered to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in as little as two years, or continue on to attain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some short explanations of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Pearcy AR area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is commonly a 2 year program offered by community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level job in nursing in healthcare facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and afterwards earn a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is typically a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be qualified to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might wish to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is usually a 2 year program after acquiring the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has obtained one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Further requirements for licensing change from state to state, so be sure to get in touch with the Arkansas board of nursing for any state mandates.
There are generally two scholastic accreditations available that provide instruction to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that can be concluded in the shortest time frame, generally about 1 year, is the certificate or diploma course. The 2nd alternative is to attain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and typically require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, besides supplying a higher credential and more comprehensive training, are that they provide more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you pursue, it should be Arkansas approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the core curriculum effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike some other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to attain a college degree. CNA instruction can be received at Pearcy AR area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the training program can take anywhere from just one to 3 months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to receive at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which must be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Keep in mind that this is the minimal period of training required and that every state has its specific requirements. So it’s crucial to make certain that the training program you enroll in not only fulfills the federal requirements, but also those for Arkansas or the state where you will be practicing. One tip is to contact the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the education is state approved. Along with the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there can be other requirements as well.
Questions to Ask Nursing Schools
Once you have determined which nursing degree to enroll in, along with if to attend your classes on campus near Pearcy AR or online, you can use the following guidelines to begin narrowing down your options. As you probably are aware, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges within Arkansas and the United States. So it is important to lower the number of schools to choose from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we earlier mentioned, the location of the school along with the expense of tuition are most likely going to be the initial two points that you will consider. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your final decision, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting organization. In addition to helping confirm that you obtain a quality education, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not offered in Pearcy AR for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are attending not only provides an excellent education, but also prepares you to satisfy the minimum licensing standards for Arkansas or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Visit online rating companies to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews also. Additionally, check with the Arkansas school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some Pearcy AR healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a good reputation within the Pearcy AR medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students attain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing too. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with Pearcy AR hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Nursing Online Programs
Attending nursing schools online is emerging as a more favored way to get instruction and acquire a nursing degree. Many schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and nearly all programs call for a certain amount of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare facility. But since the balance of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more practical answer to finding the free time to attend school for many Pearcy AR students. Regarding tuition, many online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus choices. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be lessened, helping to make education more economical. And numerous online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. So if your work and family commitments have left you with limited time to pursue your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Attending a Nursing School near Pearcy AR?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Pearcy Arkansas area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
The Douglas DC-3 is a fixed-wing propeller-driven airliner that revolutionized air transport in the 1930s and 1940s. Its lasting effect on the airline industry and World War II makes it one of the most significant transport aircraft ever produced. It has a cruise speed of 207 mph (333 km/h), capacity of 21 to 32 passengers or 6,000 lbs (2,700 kg) of cargo and a range of 1,500 mi (2,400 km).
The DC-3 is a twin-engine metal monoplane with a tailwheel-type landing gear and was developed as a larger, improved 14-bed sleeper version of the Douglas DC-2. It had many exceptional qualities compared to previous aircraft. It was fast, had good range and could operate from short runways. It was reliable and easy to maintain and carried passengers in greater comfort. Before the war it pioneered many air travel routes. It could cross the continental United States and made worldwide flights possible. It is considered the first airliner that could make money carrying only passengers.
Civil DC-3 production ended in 1942 at 607 aircraft. Military versions, including the C-47 Skytrain (designated the Dakota in British Royal Air Force (RAF) service), and Russian- and Japanese-built versions, brought total production to over 16,000. Following the war, the airliner market was flooded with surplus C-47s and other ex-military transport aircraft, and Douglas' attempts to produce an upgraded DC-3 failed due to cost.
Pick the Right Nursing College near Pearcy AR
Deciding on the ideal registered nursing program is arguably the most crucial step to starting a new career in the healthcare industry. There are a number of variables that you need to think about when deciding on a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your current career goals, obligations, and economic situation. As we have highlighted within this content, it is important that you choose an RN college and a degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the healthcare community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your hard work and desire to succeed, you can become a licensed RN in Pearcy AR.
More Awesome Locations in Arkansas
Business Results 1 - 10 of 1
Bing: Arkansas nursing programs Search results
Arkansas Governor declares state of emergency with winter ice storm
Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders has declared a state of emergency in Arkansas due to the recent blast of wintry weather that covered roadways with treacherous ice and contributed to a fatal crash in Benton County. An executive order will provide funds for the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management to help with the ice storm response.
Things to Do | Arkansas.com
Let loose in Arkansas with abundant attractions and activities all over the state. Immerse yourself in art, history and culture in museums. Get away from it all on tranquil trails and secluded lakes in the outdoors. You can't miss the delicious southern cuisine at Arkansas's restaurants and bars before catching a local event this weekend. Bring the whole family for bonding time or escape for a little "you" time.
Arkansas Tourism Official Site | Arkansas.com
The diversity of the North Central Arkansas highlands provides endless adventures. Take time to enjoy all the opportunities for outdoor recreation, witness the wonders of underground caverns, cast a line at Bull Shoals Lake and try trout fishing on the White River, enjoy nature on a classic hiking trail or pick up the pace on miles of EPIC mountain bike trails.
Arkansas - Wikipedia
Arkansas is the 29th largest by area and the 34th most populous state, with a population of just over 3 million at the 2020 census. The capital and most populous city is Little Rock, in the central part of the state, a hub for transportation, business, culture, and government.
Arkansas Map of Cities - MapQuest
Arkansas is a state in the southern United States. It is part of the South Central region. The name Arkansas comes from the Osage language and means "people who live downstream”. The state is mostly mountains and hills, called the U.S. Interior Highlands. The land in the south is called the Arkansas Timberlands, and it is mostly forest land.
Home - Arkansas.gov
Whether you’re visiting Arkansas for the first time or a long-time resident, you can experience all the Natural State has to offer. Discover things to do, places to stay, unique eats, events, and more!
Arkansas State Map | USA | Maps of Arkansas (AR) - Ontheworldmap.com
About Arkansas: The Facts: Capital: Little Rock. Area: 53,179 sq mi (137,732 sq km). Population: ~ 3,00,000. Largest cities: Little Rock, Fort Smith , Fayetteville , Springdale , Jonesboro , Pine Bluff , Bentonville, Hot Springs , Benton, North Little Rock, Conway , Rogers , West Memphis, Paragould, Cabot, Searcy, Texarkana , Sherwood, Jacksonville, Russellville, Bella Vista, Van Buren.
Arkansas Maps & Facts - World Atlas
Arkansas is in the southern United States, with an area of 53,179 square miles and a population of 3 million. It has various geographical features, including mountains, valleys, rivers, and forests. Iconic aspects of Arkansas topography include the Ozark Plateau and the Ozark Mountains, located in northern Arkansas. Rolling hills and valleys characterize this region, with elevations ranging from 55 to 2,753 feet above sea level.
Arkansas Storm Team Weather Blog: Ice Storm Warning through 9 AM ...
The Arkansas Storm Team is a collaboration of two stations to bring you the largest weather team in the state when covering Arkansas weather. Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. 13 best clarifying shampoos for curly hair Hair Products / 22 mins ago
Arkansas | Flag, Facts, Maps, Capital, Cities, & Attractions
Arkansas, constituent state of the United States of America. Arkansas ranks 29th among the 50 states in total area, but, except for Louisiana and Hawaii, it is the smallest state west of the Mississippi River.